Disclaimer: The opinions expressed in this blog are entirely our own and not necessarily those of our employer or any other occupational therapist.

Monday 11 April 2016

More than just a newspaper

Recently I was listening to a discussion on whether paper copy newspapers were becoming a thing of the past due to the popularity of the on line versions. Most of the discussion centred around content and whether immediate access to upto date news vs the solidity of the printed word was better.
What I realised was missing is that, to many people, a hard copy newspaper is more than just a paper full of news. As an occupational therapist I am interested in the routines that people engage in and how the things that they do have value and meaning for them. So why might we have a paper copy newspaper?

a) It gets me out of the house and walk to the paper shop - it gives me a reason to get dressed and go out.
b) Once there I might engage in conversation with the shop keeper and/or fellow customers - and that might be the only contact I have with others during the day
c) It might link to me to a familiar occupation/activity that I have done for many years in a world where my roles are dwindling due to life stage and/or illness
d) It might be a time marker. Reading the paper with a cup of coffee/tea/beveridge of choice may allow me to fill time in a valued way rather than the day stretching out with not much else in it.
e) I can re-read items at my leisure and know that they will remain there when I need them - online sites are updated so regularly that it may be hard to find an interesting piece again once it has fallen down the list.
f) I can do the crossword with the familiar rustle of folding the page and holding a pen in my hand
g) I can reuse/recycle the paper for all manner of useful things.

Which do you prefer and why?


6 comments:

Unknown said...

Hello admin,

How are you? I think you are well. I want to share with you a great news about Melborne,Australia's Childcare education system.The certificate III childcare course will provide you with first-class training. The course consists of 11 core units and 4 electives. This is Australia's nationally recognized and accredited qualification in child care and is designed for those interested in becoming an assistant in child care center.Look about: advanced diploma of childcare

Thanks to all
Jessica Rosi

Hannah Utley said...

Hi Angela,

Coincidental that I am writing up a rationale for a newspaper group and I stumbled upon another blog which then directed me here! Really good food for thought!

Hannah (3rd OT student at Salford!)

Angela Hook said...

Hi, that sounds good - hope this was helpful in your planning. Good luck with the group :-)
Angela

Manish Batra said...

I love your blog, all of your posts are so informative for people with disabilities. I just wanted to share with your reader's another blog I found that helped me when I had questions about my disability.
Vissco
Occupational Therapy Equipment
Keep Posting:)

Manish Batra said...

Hey, very nice site. I came across this on Google, and I am stoked that I

did. I will definitely be coming back here more often. Wish I could add to

the conversation and bring a bit more to the table, but am just taking in as

much info as I can at the moment. Thanks for sharing.
Vissco Wheelchair

Keep Posting:)

Unknown said...

Decent post. I simply stumbled upon your blog and wanted to state that I've really enjoyed reading your blog posts. In whatever way I'm going to be subscribing to your feed and I am hoping you post again soon.University Of Nigeria Nsukka